Monday, June 04, 2007

Solo Date Night (SDN)

So, I took myself on a date on Friday. The muse tried to come along but, I think it's important for me to keep a few things to myself. And I went all out too. My hair was cute, hot ensemble, date heels and I was out.

The important thing to remember about the SDN is to make sure you pick a place where you are comfortable. Since you will be solo, you will draw a bit of attention, there's no need to up the anxiety factor by choosing a place where you don't even know where the restroom is. I usually go to the same place for my SDNs, in my mind, it's like my personal Cheers experience. So, I sat at the bar and had a bite to eat, with a really good wine. Then, I went to the movies. I finally got to see Disturbia. I've been trying to see that forever and I couldn't even get my dog to go with me. The beauty of going to see a movie on your SDN is that you can see whatever you choose, sit where you want and you don't have to share the popcorn.

One of my girlfriends has been able to maintain a standing SDN throughout her courtship and now engagement. She doesn't always do something spectacular on her SDN but, the one rule applies. Her SO is NOT allowed to participate. He always calls. She always says that she's still on her SDN. It's quite funny. She always calls him back later and they usually see each other after she's done. And the thing is, he LOVES that she does this. He respects the fact that her entire life does not revolve around him. I think he's a pretty evolved guy. I'm sure she'll post a comment raving about him and their situation, so I'll stop now. :-)

One of the things I admire about men is that when they become coupled, they don't lose their friends and favorite activities. Women on the other hand tend to give up alot of things that used to be important to them prior to coupledom. An SDN every now and then is a great way to keep in touch with who you are, what you think and what makes you happy.

Holla

No comments: