Monday, March 19, 2007

I Think I Love My Wife

So, I went to see this movie on Saturday. For the most part I liked it. In case you haven't seen the previews, this movie is about a man in his early to mid 30s, Chris Rock, that is very bored with his life. He's married to a beautiful, smart woman, Gina Torres, but he want's excitement.

Surely we can all relate to the grass being greener on the other side. Chris Rock's 'grass' is in the form of Kerry Washington. Her character, Nikki, is sexy, exciting and full of drama. Men always say they don't want drama, but, when the Nikki's of the world call, they inevitably go running. While hanging out with Nikki he gets careless at his job, gets his @ss kicked and causes trouble at home. The premise to this movie is a good one. The music isn't bad either.

My main complaint is that Chris decides to use the N-Word many times in the movie and it's spoken by a few different characters. I'll never understand the argument to use the word. But, putting that aside, his use of the word in this movie seemed really out of place. I expect to hear it in The Wire. I don't expect to hear it in the remake of a French movie called Chloe in the Afternoon.

My date felt that Chris's character's actions were unrealistic in the chase of Nikki. He really goes out of his way and jeopardizes many important things in his life. I, on the other hand, didn't think it was that unrealistic. I've seen men do some pretty stupid things while chasing 'the pussetta'. (Of course, women do stupid things too to get with a man. But, this movie wasn't about that. So chill out!)

I won't tell the ending because I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I'll just say that it was very 'different'. When you see it, let me know what you think.

Holla

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely a dramedy. Overall, I enjoyed this movie. Not only the N-Word and but some of the profanity was not necessary. However, he is Chris Rock. It was a good mature look for him.

A committed man leaving town and work impromptu. Not sure about that. Yes men will lie, cheat, and have all type elaborate schemes. But work is money and most men love money. He was breaking some major rules. No job visits. No overexposed daytime activities. Always have a cover story. .. Yeah he was a Gump and his boy was trying to tell him that.

The ending was ok. Realistic in the final choice he made. But was it for his wife or kids? The comedy portion of the ending very old Chris Rock. He could have done something different.

Didn't he really get away with cheating?


Kerry Washington half-naked throughout the movie... Priceless


WA

Penni Brown said...

You're right, it was dumb of him to have the girl show up at his job like that. He probably should've had you consult on the major rules.

It was a male fantasy movie, so yep, he got away with it. LOL

In the real world, the wife finds the pack of condoms in his pocket and blows up his spot.

Kerry is really trying to break into the femme fatale world. Between this and She Hate Me, she's doing a good job of switching up her image. I wonder will it catch on.

and finally, why do Chris Rock's lips always look chapped?

Anonymous said...

Ok. I have to remember to use my inside voice. Because you just made me laugh out LOUD 4 real.
(chapped lips)

I watched “She Hate Me” twice when it was on Stars On-Demand. LOL .. inside voice.

WA

Penni Brown said...

Seriously, I think Kerry(Kerri?) put that lotion on to protect her skin from those black razors masquerading as lips on his face.
...back to work now.

Thanks for commenting!