Monday, September 11, 2006

We Need More Big Voices!

He grabbed my hand and led me to a spot on the dance floor.

"You ready?"
"Yes."
"Follow me."

Back 2, 3
Front 2, 3
Back 2, 3
Front 2, 3

"I've got an idea that will help us win this contest"
"Really, I thought we were doing pretty good like this."

Back 2, 3
Front 2, 3

"We are, but, we can take it up a notch"
"What are you gonna do?"
"Don't worry, just trust me. It's gonna be great."

With that, I looked into his eyes to see if there were any hints about what he was planning.
He returned my gaze with a confident smile.

Back 2, 3
Front 2, 3


"When I give you the signal, put your head through this hole."
He formed his arms into a circular shape at his side.

"Are you serious?"
"Yeah, trust me. I've got this."

Back 2, 3
Front 2, 3

Now.

I stuck my head through his arms and all I saw next was pavement... then sky.

Imagine a windmill. Imagine a human windmill. A 6 foot 2 inch human windmill.

I was the blade doing a 360 in the wind.
The crowd roared.
My knees were weak.

Back 2, 3
Front 2, 3

"Oh my God, that was incredible."
With a casually sly smile, he said, "I told you I had it."
"I believed you."

Back 2, 3
Front 2, 3


No, I was not a contestant on Dancing with the Stars. This was an episode straight out of the Adams Morgan Festival yesterday. There were salsa and meringue bands, lots of vendors with great food and as I found out, a man with a Big Voice.

The Big Voice (BV) is a term my friends and I have coined to describe that cool, confident swagger that some men have. Men with BV only need to say a thing once. Their delivery inspires a sense of trust and calm in the listener. Some people think the BV is big because it's loud. That's hardly ever true. The man with the BV doesn't have to raise the volume or be boisterous to get people to follow him. He's a natural born leader.

A man with BV can be charismatic, although that's not always the case. I've known male models, football players and nerds with BV. The defining characteristic of the BV'd man is that he takes care of things, gets the job done with little fanfare. He does what he says he's going to do and sometimes more. This sense of responsibility garners respect. He's also certain of what he knows and honest about what he doesn't know. You always know where you stand with a BV man because he's not afraid to share that with you. He could care less about what other people think. And did I mention that this quality is extremely sexy?

The BV man is an endangered species. With changing social politics and constantly moving boundaries a lot of men have lost their BV and a lot of women don't realize that they should want that in their lives. I think we should start a movement to Save the Big Voices. We need them.

Side 2, 3
Side 2, 3
Back 2, 3
Front 2, 3

"So, what are you doing tomorrow?"
Holla

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Penni. I thought that your Big Voice entry was excellent.

C-Luv